Tips for buying a used motor car
Buying a pre-owned vehicle is a great option when shopping on a budget. But there are some precautions to take into account – here are eight important tips to consider when buying a used car.
Used-vehicle sales have been on a steady climb in South Africa over the past few years, according to the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers South Africa (NAAMSA).
As the prices of new cars continue to rise, it’s expected that more consumers will opt for the second-hand car market to find the perfect vehicle for their personal needs.
However, while used car prices can be friendlier on your pocket, some pre-owned vehicles might have mechanical gremlins and body damage issues that are undisclosed by the seller, cautions the Automobile Association of South Africa (AA).
Here are some points to consider when buying a used car:
1. Do you buy privately or through a dealership?
2. Research a pre-owned car dealership.
3. Make sure you research the actual value of a used car.
4. Research vehicle running costs in South Africa.
5. Check with the local authorities if the car is not stolen or stolen and recovered vehicle and that all the rightful documentation is in order.
6. Make sure you do a complete used car inspection.
7. Negotiate with the seller on the deal.